To my loyal & valued customers,
As we approach February every year I begin to dream of green grass, bugs galore, rivers teeming with fish and the sights of bent fly rods up and down a river. With such a moderate winter so far these dreams are increasingly beginning to happen. After the drought of last summer and fall, I need a tug on my line! Is it possible to ask spring to accelerate its arrival? Who do I call/email/text?
Please take a moment to read this newsletter thoroughly. It contains lots of dates and information on upcoming classes, events, presentations, etc.
Pat Perkins, an area Bamboo Rod maker extraordinaire, has decided to put his exquisite collection of recently made rods in the shop for sale. Come in to see his collection and become an owner!
ALL RIVER MAPS ARE BACK IN STOCK.
See You on the water,
Check out the classes still to come at the shop this year:
1) Sunday, February 12th, 2023
Charlie Shadan’s Tying Class – Nymphs, Nymphs, Nymphs. Still some spots left. Learn to use new materials and create new patterns. All materials and Lunch included. 10:00am – 4:30pm. $120.00/person
2) Sunday, February 19th, 2023
Joe Calcavecchia’s Intermediate/Advanced Saltwater Tying Class. Still 2 spots left. Joe’s 1st class sold out!! Great Instructor. All hooks and materials provided. 9:30am – 1:30pm. $100.00/person
3) Saturday, April 8th, 2023
Aquatic Bugology Class – the shops’ highlight of the year. Still some spots left. Don’t miss out on this one!! Jon Sweatman and Charlie Shadan conduct a classroom and underwater exploration of bugs in our area rives. Highly acclaimed by all who have taken the class for the last 10 years. 9:30am – 4:00pm. $125.00/person
4) Sunday, May 7th, 2023
Learn to Nymph Fish Class – SOLD OUT
Call or email the shop for all details and to sign up for any offering.
If you are a fly tyer or perform a craft of some sort that requires good lighting and/or magnification stop in to see the expansive new line-up of products for your use. New lights and magnifiers have arrived and you won’t be disappointed.
Fly tyers — Stop in and see how your aging eyes can be helped while you enjoy your tying. Lots to choose from. Prices that won’t break the bank!
ESFS Guide Service
Bryan Parker will be spearheading a new ESFS offering of guide service. We will be guiding both for cold as well as warm water species. Please call or e-mail the shop for pricing and schedule availability for Bryan and Scott.
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a New Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you, but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburg helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in, or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse.
You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
ESFS Upcoming Events:
Sunday, February 12th – Charlie Shadan Class 10:00 am – 4:30 pm
Sunday, February 19th – Joe Calcavecchia Class 9:30 am – 1:30 pm
Saturday, April 8th – Aquatic Bugology Class 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sunday, May 7th – SOLD OUT
SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…..
Of all the words you can misspell, February is one of the most misspelled words in the English language. Even the White House has misprinted the word “February” before in a press release!
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 800+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river. 500+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.
Deerfield River maps
Announcement: I have finally finished a third map in the series: Come in and get your new copy of The Deerfield River Map.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.